Tuesday, January 16, 2007

All Along The Watchtower

January 16

6mi, 39:20 (6:33/mi): West Side Five + PPHC, sorta. Felt good, but had to squeeze the run between work and teaching. Gald to get it done, because all training now is building towards the Fourth Annual Prospect Park Hill Climb. As Hooley observes, you will all be running. I picked up the pace for approximately the last 2.055mi of the run to get a feel for the course. Sadly, I turned on Seymore instead of onto the bike path after the bridge over 94, and so did not get a very precise read. I will probably be running the course on a daily basis, however, and will be happy to lead tours as soon as I become more comfortable with the route. From what I have been able to gather from this preliminary run, The Hill is only one of myriad challenges presented by the PPHC. Another, obviously, is the impressive competition. But this event also requires strength and dexterity to avoid oncoming traffic and to negotiate icy, treacherous roadways and sidewalks. Given all of this and also considering my greenhorn status, I am especially proud to have bested the current women's course record. I don't expect it to happen every time I'm out there, but I'll take victory as it comes. And with the PPHC's new Women's Elite Athlete Coordinator I don't expect to enjoy anything similar in 2008. Viva 12/31/07!

1 comment:

Andy S said...

Jan 17: 6ish, with NickMas, too early in the morning. it was cold and somewhat windy. we ran by some sort of running group with about 20 members. no one said hello. no snowballing. no acronyns.