Monday, March 03, 2008

Still Out There/With The Coffee Stains

Some of you may have noticed: it's March. I hadn't, really, since today was one of the five coldest runs I've done this winter. Which means that my capacity for noticing the date has been replaced with cautious giddiness; I've done more than five runs this winter.

January - Early February

I kept up the circuit training pretty well about 4x a week for most of January and early February. Then Hamline moved very far away when it got colder in mid-February and I had about a week or 10-days off. During the circuit training I ran a couple 800s as fast as 3:20. These were usually the last of a set 4-6 that started out around 4:10. My longest continuous run was 7:45 when I did 2x1600 with 5min walking recovery on the treadmill. My fastest mile was 7:05. As long as I started out slowly enough, I never experienced any lasting pain in my lower abdomen or groin.

February 19-25

Decided I should start running outside, since that's what I'm most motivated to do and the streets were not too icy. Ran five times (T, R, F, Su, M) for 10min each time. On Saturday I finally had the massage I've probably needed since TCM 2004. I'll try to make that a regular treatment during this rehab.

February 26-March 3

My plan calls for adding 5min to my run each week, and I am nothing if not an honorer of plans. Ran five times (T, R, F, Sa, M) for 15min each time. Also went to two yoga classes, which helped to loosen things up and were not as intense as the core-blasting yoga I was doing last summer.

The pain is still present, which is worrisome. So far, though, it seems like therapeutic pain. Also, I'll ice. I'm proceeding with a lot of caution at this point, but it feels great to be living out these American late night blues.

4 comments:

bizyah said...

March 4: AM Main Douzaine 1:25:52. Not sure I was awake for that one.

PM: Diagonal 8 53:28. Felt alright, but pretty worn out. Long day, didn't get home until almost 9. Silly makeup classes. Oh well.

Hools said...

plan sounds good, church.

bizyah said...

March 5: AM Threat Level 8 56:17. A couple inches of fresh snow on top of the frozen ponds that double as sidewalks around here made it a fun morning.

PM: 4 mile LSCC pre-party loop + LSCC, 1:15:52. Have a headache that coffee ain't interested in curing. Perhaps some rest will do the trick. . .

bizyah said...

March 6: 2 x Mark Twain Feeftain 3:11:45. Splits were 1:37:52, 1:33:53. Chugged a sippy cup of HEED at halfway and kept rolling. Felt really good. Started out much quicker than usual for, well, any of my runs which made me a bit nervouse about the second loop. I pulled back just a tad but kept rolling pretty good. Got after the second loop pretty well and kept getting faster. The approximate marathon split was 2:47, + or - 30 secs. Can't be too bummed about that since I was still feeling relaxed and easy at that point. The last 2-3 miles started getting a bit tougher and I wasn't so excited about speeding up anymore, but I didn't feel the need to slow down, which was nice. Granted, I'd like to be running much faster than 2:40something in about 6.5 weeks, but it's nice to know that what was really hard at NY in great weather is now a cakewalk at 15 degrees wearing tights and slipping around on the ice. I'll take it. And, no long runs over 20 miles from here until April 21. Crap, I'm gonna have to start "resting" at some point here. . .